Friday, November 29, 2013

A Meaningful Gift

Happy Holidays friends! I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving. As people rush about today to start shopping for Christmas, I offer you some meaningful gifts to give.

There is a point to this story you are about to read friends, please read on.. Two years ago I had to take my hospice foster dog Pookie to the vet to be euthanized. I know I should say release him from his pain, which I did or send him to the Rainbow Bridge, which I know brings many members of the animal rights community solace.

Every time I am face with this choice, I feel no solace. I know I am doing the best thing for those in my care but the pain I feel and the never ending questions, is this the right time, are they ready and how will I get through losing my beloved family member? Every time I tear my heart out. I can hardly see to drive to the vet through tears. I hold my dog and will them to health, to take some of  my life and live on and of course to no longer feel pain. I never leave their side. Once when I was young I did not stay with my beloved Drake, I was a coward. This shames me. He loved me unconditionally and I didn't stay with him in his last moments.  Never again. I promised never to leave or abandon my animal companions and I never, ever will. I promise.

Many people when they lose their loved family member say never again, they can't go through the pain.  I understand and I know you do as well. But for me, I cannot close my eyes to another in need, no matter the pain. And I have had the privilege to share my life with these sweet dogs. I have done the right thing to love them in their last days when others have abandoned them. I will tear my heart out over and over for my hospice dogs to give them the love they deserved and were due from their original family.

So what is the point of this story? Two very dear people, Kristin Reed and Pam Nelson, who worked with me gave me and Pookie and all dogs one of the best gifts EVER for Christmas.  They donated money to an DFW Pug Rescue, the rescue group that had rescued Pookie and gave him into my care.  This donation meant so much to me that I am still filled with gratitude. I accepted this give with immense joy. They honored Pookie and all my dogs.

http://www.dfwpugs.com/

Give the most meaningful of gifts.  Donate to a rescue group or an animal rights organization. 


So I ask you my friends to consider giving the most meaningful of gifts.  Donate to a rescue group or an animal rights organization.  Give the gift outright as a gift to animals and yourself. Or give the gift in the named of a loved one.  Here are some ways you can give.

http://www.humanesociety.org/


The Humane Society of the United States of America.
The Humane Society will send a printed or electronic card on your behalf to a friend.


PETA. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. You can donate in general or to a specific action.  You can also Donate through PETA Presents. Compassionate Gifts That Give Twice.

Give a Gift That Protects Animals — and Pleases Your Family and Friends Pick one of PETA’s “virtual gifts” — such as a toy for a neglected dog or a day off for a working animal — and your gift will be put to work immediately to support PETA’s lifesaving work for animals. What better way to both help the animals you love and send your recipient a cool e-card at the same time! Choose your gift. Personalize the e-card that you’d like to send. Stand tall as your donation goes right to work to end animal suffering.

http://www.petapresents.org/
 
Buy an actual gift that benefits an animal rights organization. The National Wildlife Federation and many others groups (listed below are some additional sites) have gifts you can buy and the profits go to the organizations. Shop NWF.

http://www.shopnwf.org/index.jsp?&emailCode=920333_2|OldP
 
 
Donate to the ASPCA. Or Buy or lease a Subaru. Really, if you need a new car, Subaru has a SHARE THE LOVE. From the ASPCA Blog: Please help us spread the word about the Subaru “Share the Love” event! The support from Subaru has already helped us save thousands of animals, but there are countless more that need our help. Once again this year, for every vehicle sold or leased between November 21, 2013 and January 2, 2014, Subaru will donate $250 to the consumer’s choice among five national charity partners, with a minimum guaranteed donation of $250,000 to each partner, and in select areas, a sixth local charity chosen by individual dealers. Click HERE for more at ASPCA or HERE for more from Subaru.
 

http://www.subaru.com/share-the-love.html
 
I know I am more inclined to buy a Subaru in the future. I appreciate such generosity.
 
Or give to a local rescue group, animal shelter or sponsor an animal through a group - help pay for the care and medical expenses.  Give and Volunteer. Volunteer.
 
 
Give. Volunteer.  Be The Change.
 
Sometimes the difference between life and death is YOU.
Adopt. Rescue. Foster. Transport. Sponsor. Donate Volunteer. Educate. Care.
Be the Change. Be that Person.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Yes I know the pain,it kills me every time too but I wouldn't be without my bunny,and being coverd in bunny fluff all the time,they bring us so much joy too!xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunny Joy! Yes the pain is hard but the gift is great. We can all give a meaningful gift in some way. Happy Thanksgiving Rachel and Speedy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcome!